I love it when stuff just works.
I, like every other woman between 18-87, love Pinterest. But I find it really hit and miss for recipes. A pin will feature a cute little graphic hailing the BEST_____ EVER, or some healthy concoction that tastes JUST like some artery-clogging favourite, and you’ll dash out to shop for ingredients and quickly whip it up only be to be left with a pile of wasted ingredients and dashed dreams.
Goddamn you Pinterest, you fickle seductress!
THIS however, works. I have been struggling with dry skin (oh woe, the struggle!) since I moved to Edmonton a few months ago. Initially I switched my trusty coconut oil for a cocoa butter/jojoba oil mix, but my parched skin really seemed to be lusting after some rich, creamy lotion. To avoid the plastic packaging, weird ingredients and greenwashing commonly found in store-bought lotions, I decided to try making some instead.
I like natural recipes with five easy-to-find ingredients or less – this one had three: olive oil beeswax, and water! I found it at Annalea Magana and as I had picked up some beeswax at the farmer’s market a few days ago I was eager to try it.
My first attempt was abysmal, and I thought the devil-Pinterest had led me astray again. Instead of a rich creamy lotion I ended up with extremely watery olive oil. Blergh. I put it in the fridge for a while, thinking it would firm up, but instead it just became cold extremely watery olive oil.
At this point my brother asked me if I had ever considered the environmental implications of all of these failed experiments and I
threw the whole concoction at his head in a fit of rage laughed lightly and continued my quest, more determined than ever.
I went back and read all of the comments on the recipe post, and realized that so many people couldn’t be wrong, it had to be me. I don’t exactly have the best track record in the kitchen, after all.
Some googling made me realize that I must have poured the olive oil/beeswax mixture into the water too quickly, and it didn’t have a chance to emulsify.
I tried it again, pouring it slooooowwwwlllly, and it worked! Rich, creamy, lotion-y lotion! I used olive oil because it’s what I had on hand, but I think sweet almond oil would be amazing. I added a few drops of spearmint oil and am keeping it in the fridge so it’s a refreshing cream on these ridiculously hot days.
Annalea Magana’s Natural Body Lotion
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated beeswax
- essential oil (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a double boiler or microwave using a glass bowl. Add the grated beeswax to the oil and mix until completely melted. Carefully remove the glass bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes.
2. Put the water into your blender and turn it on. While it’s whirling, take the plastic center from the top of the blender lid and slooooowly pour in the oil and beeswax mixture.
3. Blend for about a minute, then add any essential oils. You might have to scrape the sides down a few times to ensure everything mixes – that’s totally normal.
4. Use a spatula to pour the lotion into a sterilized glass container – Annalea says it should last you around 3 months at room temp. It’s hot as hell here so I’m refrigerating mine!
Let me know if you try it! I seriously feel like a wizard.